*Credits: All information and pictures are taken from Bunny Wonderland with their consent. Purely Adoptions do not claim the copyrights of all information reproduced.
INITIAL SETUP COST – Estimated $450-$1,300
- This includes cost of the rabbit ($50-500), sterilization ($200-300), housing setup ($100-300) and accessories ($100-200). Adopting from a reputable rescue group like BW, HRSS and SPCA will be the cheaper alternatives as the adoption fee is low and the rabbits are sterilized.
MONTHLY MAINTENANCE COST – Estimated $250
- This includes food, cleaning supplies and grooming care.
ANNUAL ADDITIONAL COST – Estimated $600
- This includes vet consultations (assume 2 visits), boarding cost (assume 10 days), and miscellaneous replacement of their toys and accessories.
And that’s not all! It will be truly unrealistic to assume your pet rabbit will remaining healthy through its life with you. Like any living thing, they can fall sick and will require medical treatment. Here’s a list of typical medical expenses a rabbit can have through its lifespan.
SIMPLE PROCEDURES – Estimated $100-500
- This can be a simple vet consultation with some common medication but if diagnositics are required, it can easily add up to $500 or even more. Common diagnostics includes blood test, urinalysis test, Xray, ultrasound etc.
NON-SURGICAL TREATMENT – Estimated $500-800
- This can be for infection, discomfort or dental procedures. These treatments require follow-up every 2-4 weeks until clear and average number of visit is about 3. Certain conditions such as dental and poor digestion can also be chronic of which visits could be 4-8 weeks through its lifespan.
SURGICAL TREATMENT – Estimated $1000-3000
- This can be for more severe conditions such as teeth extraction, GI stasis, growth removal or fracture which requires invasive surgery. Our estimate are for one-time treatment cost and the follow-up necessary is even more intensive to ensure the animal is completely recovered. Again, such conditions are prone to relapse through its lifespan.